Monday, June 27, 2011

Mob Wives: "She's got no spades, so she might as well throw in her hand"

http://realitytea.realitytea.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/new-uploads/2011/05/Mob_Wives_VH1.jpgIf there's one major thing to take away from the first season of Mob Wives, it's that as much bravado and swagger as these women may try to give off, they're human just like the rest of us and eventually the toll of an unusual lifestyle is bound to start affecting them. In past episodes, we've seen Karen deal with crushing press, Renee find the strength to leave her ex once and for all, and even typically tough Carla struggle with just how to tell her kids where their father had been for the past 6 years.
The season one finale was all about the unraveling of Drita D'avanzo and it was both a tough and captivating watch. Drita's volatile relationship with Lee may have finally reached its breaking point with a shocking revelation of his infidelity during his short stay home (my notes: "SHUT UP. SHUT. UP." and about 500 underlines) and that stress, frustration, and anger bubbled over when it came time to discuss the issue of Karen's apparent fudging of the timeline of her relationship with Lee and how that made Drita look. When the fight between Karen and Drita was finally broken up by production, it was clear: things had changed for the Mob Wives.
Here's my thing. If Karen had been cheating on Lee as much as we implied, she has zero right to comment on who he sees or doesn't see, regardless if it's her girlfriend or not. To me, cheating on somebody repeatedly negates girl code and why should Drita be forced to tell you when she gets with Lee when you can't even bother to stay faithful to him in the first place?! Let's not forget that Karen giving Drita the book was all about stirring the pot (you've known Drita for more than a decade and you're surprised she doesn't want to read your book/give you feedback when you explicitly said you didn't care what she thinks?); let's even forget that Karen continues to bring up this whole thing and more or less guilted Drita into apologizing by crying in front of her. The timeline fudging, the selective morality, and the weird friendship standards (what about forgiveness?) were all too much to handle and I can understand Drita's frustration.
Season one of Mob Wives ended with the same tone as it began. In the span of one episode, you had funny one liners, intense fights, and a whole lot of self-reflection, as Renee was looking toward the future, Drita was regretting the past, and Karen didn't quite know what direction to go. The show can go from lighthearted and even somewhat goofy to heartbreaking to loud and angry within a short span and it honestly works, partially because the chaotic nature of an episode seems to mirror the lifestyle we've been watching for the past 10 episodes. Here's hoping that each woman either finds a little peace with their current situation or continues to realize that while they may have conquered "The Life", real life can sometimes be just as tough if not tougher and the hard work is just beginning.
Final Thoughts:
  • How on fire was Renee during her talking heads? My personal favorite was probably "I'm divorced from my husband for 12 years. I dare you to go out with him."
  • "I don't think I need to fill my life with his problems." I don't really get "attached" to reality stars, but my heart was really warmed by seeing just how at peace Renee was about her situation with Junior and where her life is taking her. The introduction of therapy into a show like this was such a smart move and I hope Renee continues to see Dr. Gorsky during season two to keep up the good work.
  • Just speculating, but I think Dave will take Carina and move to New York to be with Karen, especially since the show was picked up for a second season. He seems like he loves her and we've seen how Carina's absence has affected Karen, so I don't see them staying apart for too long.
  • Sneakers or heels? The age old question.
  • The fight itself seemed like it would be one for the ages, but they didn't show much more than what they were using in the promos. There's supposed to be bonus footage on the show's site, so if you're so inclined, you can check that out, as well as catch up on any episodes you missed before the reunion.
  • I know Mob Wives is just a silly little show on VH1, but I have to say that I greatly enjoyed myself during season one and I got way more into the storylines than I expected to. Despite the issues I have with certain members of the cast, I want the best for these ladies and as entertaining as their fights can be, it's awesome to see them make personal progress and get to the root of their unhappiness.
  • The reunion, airing in two weeks, will be a hot mess and I cannot wait. Bring it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment