Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Trading Places


Sorry for no posts lately; I am busy enjoying my whirlwind tour of "Last times that I ever do anything in Grand Forks before I move." Don't let me mislead you; the whirlwind tour consists mostly of getting hammered in various locations and eating Happy Joe's Pizza Buffet.

The flurry of trades the last couple days is enough for me to stick my head out of my shell, though. First up, KG. It makes the Celtics immediate frontrunners for the finals coming out of the East, and one of the teams that I will most enjoy, which I know will upset Jon-Jon. And while McHale and Taylor will take a ton (repeat: a ton) of shit for this trade, it had to be done. Say what you will about his supporting cast over the years, but it has been made blatantly clear that KG needs plenty of help to do anything. The only year he ever won a playoff series was the year they brought in Cassell and Sprewell. This is not a coincidence, KG supporters.

As for the Sox getting Eric Gagne, consider me on the fence. Yes, our bullpen is damn near unhittable now, but giving up Gabbard sucks. He was showing a ton of promise while filling in for Schilling, who, by the way, could conceivably be gone after this year, and how much does Wakefield have left? To those who have known me for a long time, the fact that I am even considering this opinion is odd. I have always been a supporter of the "fuck it, trade the prospects, let's win now" kind of baseball fan, but somehow, over the years, I have morphed into the complete opposite. However, I do realize this is just my snap judgement; call me up during Game 6 of the ALCS when we can go Gagne-Okajima-Papelbon in the 7th-8th-9th. On a side note, we shouldn't even make the Cardinals give us a player back for Pineiro. Let's just thank them for being part of that special ride in 2004 and call it good. If you told me back in spring training that Pineiro was designated for assignment and Okajima's ERA was under 1.00......

I love the Twins trading Luis Castillo to the Mets. Love it. The reactions of Twins players and fans has got me cracking up. That's all I'll say for now because the more I think about it, the more I think that should be its own post.

As for Teixiera, great trade for the Braves. As much as I hate typing those words. I'm surprised Dunph waited until 8:59 yesterday to give me an earful about that one. I had bet on 4:32.

No comments:

Post a Comment